Saturday, December 15, 2007

Windows Live

So I So I'm testing out some of the applications (slash one add-on) of the windows live suite. It includes:

  • Messenger
  • Writer
  • Sign-in Assistant
  • Mail
  • Toolbar
  • Photo Gallery
  • Family Safety

The ones in bold are the ones that I have installed.


Messenger (4/5):
We all know what messenger is and does so there is nothing new to speak of there. They need to add tabbed messaging then I'll boost that score. Everyone else understands, but Microsoft (nothing has changed).

Writer (4/5):
This is the blog publishing tool. I am actually using it right now. It's not exactly the greatest thing I've ever used (mostly because I like writing in HTML because I don't like sloppy Microsoft software code here), but it gets the job done if you're just trying to do things like inserting text, links, pictures, tables, maps, tags, and videos. I'm pretty sure you can even use themes and stuff here too, but I haven't looked into it.
Update: I wanted to up the score by 0.5 points because after realizing that I can change how this program handles HTML and how you load easily load and edit old posts to your blog I thought it deserved a higher rank :)

Mail (4.5/5):  Recommended!
Wait a minute... did they finally get it right? I think they did. This email client can get email from your HTTP (Hotmail, yahoo, G-Mail) accounts and also your POP & IMAP (school & ISP) email accounts something that neither Windows Mail nor Microsoft Outlook could do; which is a great ability nowadays considering that a lot of people have free HTTP email accounts. I don't know about you guys, but I would much rather have a tool on my computer that checks my mail for me instead of having to navigate to separate web pages for each account.

Sign-in Assistant (4/5):
This tool apparently helps you sign into Windows Live services if you're using the Internet Explorer browser. You can basically log in with the click of a button; which is pretty nice. It stores your encrypted information on your computer and sends your username and password information to a Live site without having to type it in all the time. It's a convenience thing that was intended for multiple users. I don't really have a use for it as I don't browse with Internet Explorer hardly ever (I use Firefox), but I would assume it would be a pretty handy tool for those multi-user PCs


If you are interested in Windows Live, get it here.

No comments: